In my younger days I never really cared much for organized fitness, preferring instead to be very active in the great outdoors by hiking, sailing, swimming, canoeing, biking, etc. That still would be my preferred method of staying fit, however, as my life has changed and I am now blessed to be the momma of four children, time does not allow for this on a regular basis, and the world of indoor fitness has become my good friend. I have found that even going to the gym or taking the time to do the regimen that I followed for years has needed to change and be tailored to the time constraints of being a busy mom and homeschooler.
Because of this I’m always looking for a good workout that meets the following criteria:
- Incorporates as many muscle groups as possible
- Doesn’t take too long
- Can be done at home
- Includes aerobic activity
So, here is a tool that I have found that works your whole body, plus includes cardio activity as well; namely the kettlebell. If you are like me and want to be fit, but are short on time, you really should check this out. Kettlebells seem to be gaining in popularity, so they are now widely available. I purchased mine on Amazon from the company GoFit, and it came complete with a workout dvd that contains a whole body workout, plus a tutorial on basic kettlebell moves.
One of the reasons I chose GoFit’s over the other brands was that it met three criteria I wanted:
- Price – it was one of the best priced
- Shape and size – it was small and shaped well. Some of the others seemed big and clunky
- Workout routine – It comes with a good workout routine
Here is what I started with:
I started with the 7 lbs. kettlebell, which seems light, but it is very important to learn to do the moves correctly to avoid injury before adding weight. When I felt I could execute all of the moves properly, I began moving up in weight.
I try to do the GoFit workout at least once a week (preferably twice) in addition to other forms of cardio and weight training. I greatly appreciate the fact that it is only 25 minutes long and it is great for toning my core (after a few months of this workout, I have noticed a marked difference in the muscle tone of my abs). It gets me breathing hard throughout and I can feel it the next day. As a side note, I should say, if you experience knee problems, start light and go easy with this workout, because you are using a lot of knee activity.
Benefits of a Kettlebell workout:
- Low Cost Equipment –there are no expensive machines or memberships needed
- Short Workout Time – you can get a great workout in less than 30 minutes
- Location – it can be done virtually anywhere
- Strength Training – instead of training just one muscle group, a good kettlebell workout trains your entire body
- Aerobic Activity – an effective kettle bell workout gets you moving, increases your heart rate and gives you a good sweat – I love that feeling
GoFit is only one of the many workouts available for your kettlebell. Many kettlebells on the market come with their own instructional videos to get you started. There is also much information and instruction to be had by simply doing an internet search on the topic. Kettlebells are a versatile tool for home and full body workouts, so whether you are a fitness junkie or you just know that you need to become one, check it out!